Sympathy Card

After learning of a friend’s passing today, I wanted to make a sympathy card for his wife. I started out by picking the image I wanted to use and then started looking for a sketch to get the mojo working. This sketch caught my eye – this week’s challenge from Critter Sketch Challenge.

critter125

This is my finished card, along with the inside.

12-07-Frick-sympathy

12-07-Frick-sympathy2

Supplies used:

  • white A2 card base, cut to square
  • patterned papers from Miss Caroline “Howdy Doody” 6×6 Designer Paper Pad from My Mind’s Eye
  • black and white cardstock from my stash
  • Bearded Iris pre-colored digital stamp from Fred She Said
  • Green Flowers digital paper from Designer Digitals (no longer available)
  • silver peel-off sentiment from my stash

Thanks for stopping by. Happy crafting.

In CASE You Were Wondering…

I have been making cards and having a great time doing it. It’s just that most of what I’ve been working on has nothing to do with any challenges. So I haven’t been adding them to my blog. Well, I’m kind of proud of several and wanted to show them off anyway.

I subscribe to “Cardmaking & Papercraft”, a magazine out of the UK. It has wonderful ideas, plus there is always a bonus included with the magazine. I’ve gotten a couple of paper packs, several clear stamps and some shimmer paints. In this last issue (#105) I got a “book” of 24 double-sided 8 1/2 x 11 3/4 papers – and they are beautiful. Inside the magazine were a number of cards made using those same papers. I was in heaven! I’ve been CASEing ever since.

For anyone not familiar with the term, CASE stands for Copy And Share (Steal) Everything. It’s my favorite way to make cards. If I can see it, I can make it. And in this case I even had the same papers to use (which is rare).

So, without further ado, here are the cards I’ve CASEd from the magazine:

060

This 5-inch square card was the first one I tried. Though I had all the papers, I did not have the same gems or ribbon. Their sample used burgundy ribbon & gems and had the sentiment on white paper, trimmed in red. I didn’t have quite as much space left over (it is cut freehand), so I used a silver peel-off from my stash.

065

This is an A7 sized card. It’s hard to see, but each diamond and the sentiment are matted in sea foam green. The magazine used a rose die for the flower, which I don’t have, so I used my Spellbinders Daisy Heads Die Cut Set. I added a crystal butterfly to the center of the flower. The sentiment is computer generated.

074

This card is A2 size. The sample card had the checks on top and the flower print on the bottom and used the rose die to cut white and red petals the same size. Again, I used the Daisy Heads set to get a similar look. Since my flower had more red, it needed to lay against the lighter paper. Besides, I like it better this way! I cut a free-form stem for the flower and used the same die set to cut and emboss the leaves. I added a gold peel-off sentiment from my stash.

There are a couple others I may have to make also, but this is what’s done so far. I’ve made others that I want to share, but you will have to wait for another posting to see them.

Thanks for stopping by. Happy crafting!

Just Because

Here is a card I made which is based on two challenges this week.

072

The first challenge is this sketch from Clean & Simple Stamping (#199).

FTL199

The second challenge is from Less is More (#76). They ask for “three of anything” on the card. So there are three butterflies on my finished card.

Those butterflies were a gift (earlier this year) from my good friend and fellow card-maker, Ruthanne. When I saw this sketch, I remembered that I had them and this would be the perfect card on which to use them. So, thank you, Ruthanne.

Additional supplies used were few. I started with an A2 card blank, then embossed the front of it using the QuicKutz Diamonds & Dots embossing folder and my Cuttlebug. I found a similar green vellum in my stash to accent the silver peel-off sentiment, also from my stash.

Thanks for stopping by. Happy crafting!

Less Is More #74

This week at Less is More, the challenge was to create a card using their blog header as inspiration. This is what it looks like:

LIMHEADER

Here is my card based on this image.

069

Supplies used:

  • white A2 card blank
  • white, black and kraft cardstock from my stash
  • Dainty Black Flourishes stickers from Sticko
  • Musical Flourish embossing folder from Cuttlebug
  • black sentiment rub-ons from Paper House Productions
  • silver line peel-offs from my stash

Thanks for stopping by. Happy crafting!